Winter is officially here and we have seen a couple of rounds of sand salt put on the road from ice storms and snow. Walking dogs doesn’t stop in the winter so protecting their paws is just as important during this time. There are a couple of ways you can do this so here are some tips winter paw protection for your fur kids.
- Wax. A common one is Musher’s Secret which is an all natural wax or other wax with moisturizer that can help with protection AND moisturizing. Some can also be used for their nose too.
- Petroleum Jelly. This is an inexpensive option to use as well as who doesn’t have some of this in their medicine cabinet.
- Trim their fur between the toe pads. The pads can get packed with snow and ice which makes it painful for them. As a result, you see them hopping.
- Boot Up is another option. There are tons of different types of booties from $12 to $99. Some are disposable and some are not. The right size is important since it needs to stay on but not be painful for them. Treats will also make it enjoyable for them . 🙂 This could be a great option if your dog is cooperative. Mine are not.
- Wiping off after the walk. We do this any as my dogs somehow get the sand and salt everywhere. If you decide not to do any of the above, you should definitely invest in some baby wipes or pet wipes to wipe them down. You would be surprised what they are tracking in. Paws can get cut on the some of the ice outside or irritants getting in the pad which can lead to bleeding. We got a 3 pack of sensitive baby wipes at Aldi’s for 3.99.
I hope you have found this helpful with protecting your fur baby for this winter. You can always email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or tips.
Have a wonderful day!