You may sometimes see the dog training service call day training and wonder “What is Day Training?” The next questions may be How can day training help me? Is Day Training right for me?
Since I offer the service of day training, otherwise known as Doggie Homeschool. I thought I would shed some light one what it is and how it can differ from each dog trainer.
So what is Day Training? Simply stated it is when the dog trainer does the training for you. There are a variety of ways a dog trainer may offer the service but at the end of the day, they are doing the training for you and usually there will be some kind of skill transfer session (that’s what I call them). Skill transfer sessions are when dog training skills that your trainer has taught your dog are taught to you so that you and your dog understand each other.
So what are the variety of ways that it is offered? This really depends on the trainer you talk to. Here are some options that I have seen:
- At the trainer’s facility just for the day from 9 – 5 and you drop them off and pick them up.
- At your home for an hourly basis. (This is what I offer)
- Board and Train. This is where you drop them off for a couple of weeks usually depending on what your goals are. They types of board and trains can also vary.
- Combination of all of the above
Is it right for you?
When I talk to clients and they ask me which is better Coaching or Day Training?
My response is what is the work that you are going to put into the training. If you don’t have the time for training then you would want to do day training. If you do have the time, then you would want to do Coaching. Now don’t get me wrong, you will always be doing some kind of training with your dog for their lifetime because you need to reinforce what you initially taught them. But if you need help at the beginning and don’t have time to start the process then doggie home school is a better option.
What are the benefits?
- Time. Training will happen faster. You will save yourself precious time especially time is a hot commodity in your life. Time is pretty valuable in a lot of households, especially busy ones.
- Efficient. Your dog will be getting the training straight from the source, no go between and won’t lose any time or translation. I don’t think I mentioned this but I speak dog. Any challenges that are happening on the training journey can be addressed at the moment between Fluffy and me since I am doing the work.
- Convenient. With me, I come to you. So you don’t have to bring your dog anywhere. The training is done in the privacy of your home.
- Ease of mind knowing that your dog will be learning through positive reinforcement training. The training environment will be supportive, fun and encourage your dog to become a confident dog that you want.
Finding the right dog trainer is important as well as how you will have your dog trained. I hope that this helped to clear what day training actually is, if it the right way for you and the benefits. Of course you can always contact me for more information as well.
Wags – Allison